Medicare Set-Asides

Medicare Set-Asides and Workers' Compensation Claims

If you have suffered a permanent disability as a result of an on-the-job accident, you have the option of obtaining a lump-sum settlement of your claim. It’s important to seek the assistance of an experienced attorney both to determine whether it is in your best interests to settle your claim and to negotiate an appropriate amount. One issue that many injured workers overlook is the Medicare set-aside account for future medical care.

Attorney Bob Burke at the law office of Joseph J. Reinke is an acknowledged authority on Oklahoma workers’ compensation law, having authored much of our state’s reformed workers’ compensation laws. If you are considering settling your workers’ compensation claim, Bob can provide you the legal representation you need. He offers a free initial consultation to discuss your case.

What Is the Medicare Set-Aside Account?

If you are receiving Medicare benefits, will receive Medicare within 30 months of settling your workers’ compensation claim, or your settlement is more than $250,000, you must plan for a Medicare set-aside allocation to fund future medical services for your injury. This allocation protects the interests of Medicare, which will be responsible for paying for your future medical treatment for your on-the job injury.

Your Medicare set-aside account will be used to pay for future medical care for your work-related injury. Medicare will not cover treatment until your set-aside account is exhausted. If you fail to make a Medicare set-aside allocation, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services may recover money to pay for your treatment from you.

Contact Our Workers’ Compensation Settlement Attorneys

To speak with an Oklahoma City Medicare set-aside lawyer, call the law office of Joseph J. Reinke today at 405-842-4335. You can also contact us by email.

Contact Us